What is Forvia?
FORVIA is a multivitamin/mineral product that provides nutritional support for patients with reduced ability to absorb vitamins and minerals from diet due to gastrointestinal conditions such as
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- Celiac disease
- Other malabsorption conditions including weight-loss and other gastrointestinal surgeries.
FORVIA Tablets and Chewables were developed on the basis of growing medical knowledge about the effects of disease on the body’s ability to absorb and use nutrients.
The vitamins and minerals selected for FORVIA Tablets and Chewables are based on current clinical findings about the common nutritional deficiencies and daily vitamin and mineral needs of patients with malabsorption. Just as important, certain ingredients commonly found in general purpose vitamin supplements are not in FORVIA products because they can interfere with absorption of more important nutrients or aggravate symptoms of disease.
- FORVIA contains the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K in water-miscible form to enable good absorption and utilization. People with malabsorption conditions from disease or weight loss surgery are at increased risk for low levels of these vitamins. Vitamin D, important for maintaining bone mass, is supplemented at 2 times the Daily Value because it is not optimally absorbed in people with IBD or who have undergone gastric bypass surgery.
- FORVIA contains folic acid, the daily administration of which has been found in a number of studies to be associated with a reduced risk for the development of colorectal cancer or dysplasia in individuals with ulcerative colitis.
- FORVIA contains vitamin C and iron in the ratio and amounts shown to increase iron absorption when given together. Iron is provided as ferrous fumarate, which is highly soluble in the gastrointestinal tract, is well-tolerated orally, and was less toxic then ferrous sulfate or ferrous gluconate in laboratory studies.
- FORVIA contains 1000 mcg of vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin). B12 may be poorly absorbed in patients with IBD, particularly in extensive Crohn’s disease, or malabsorption from other diseases or from surgery.
- FORVIA contains zinc, important for wound healing and immune function, at 150% of the Daily Value because it may be lost through increased excretion in individuals with IBD.
- FORVIA contains calcium diphosphate, a “non-gassy”/non-carbonate form of calcium for improved bone health.
- FORVIA does not contain magnesium as an active ingredient because magnesium can promote diarrhea.
- FORVIA is lactose-free and gluten-free (important for people allergic to gluten due to celiac disease), and contains no sugars, dyes, artificial sweeteners or flavorings.
- FORVIA Chewables offer an additional dosing option to FORVIA Tablets. The natural orange flavored Chewables have the same multivitamin and mineral content as FORVIA Tablets and are a convenient choice for people who may have difficulty swallowing tablets or who have an ostomy or other surgeries. Chewables may be a good choice for people with gastric bypass procedures who need high potency supplementation in a chewable form.
See Complete Product and Use Information for a full description of active ingredients. FORVIA is a non-prescription product. However, daily administration of FORVIA is designed to be one component of a comprehensive medical and nutritional program. Patients are urged to consult their physician about their individual treatment program and discuss the role of FORVIA in meeting their individual nutritional needs.
FORVIA Tablets and Chewables are manufactured in modern U.S. facilities using the highest quality ingredients and are inspected and laboratory-tested to assure compliance with specifications before leaving the factory. Our confidence in the quality of our product is reflected in our money-back guarantee.
Complete Product and Use Information